Clinical Knights take three points from Werribee encounter

Melbourne Knights has defeated Werribee City 4-2 in the Round 16 match at Galvin Park on Sunday afternoon. 


Early goals from Stipo Andrijasevic and Ben Surey, inside five minutes, and a second-half double from Daniel Visevic was enough for Knights to walk away with a comprehensive victory.


In just the fourth minute, mid-season signing Andrijasevic received the ball in space on the left side of the box. The striker cooly controlled the ball before placing it past Werribee ‘keeper Tommy Dunn and into the net.


Knights doubled the lead a minute later, when Ben Surey’s shot from outside the area was deflected by a Werribee defender, sending Dunn the wrong way.


16-year-old Jordan O’Doherty, a mid-season signing from Adelaide, was given his starting debut by Andrew Marth and did not disappoint. The winger put in a solid shift before being substituted in the 77th minute, showing good skill to get into dangerous attacking positions.


Knights saw out the first half without any clearcut Werribee chances for Chris May to deal with, and carried the 2-0 lead into the interval.


The visitors took just two minutes into the second half to further extend the lead. Daniel Visevic scored the first of his two goals, powerfully striking the ball from the edge of the area low into the goal, leaving Dunn with no chance of a save.


Visevic’s second, and the away side’s fourth, was the pick of the bunch. Cutting in from the right wing, Knights’ number seven curled the ball into the far side of the net with his left foot, again leaving Dunn helpless.


Knights dropped their guard after going 4-0 up, letting the home side peg two goals back, but never looked like losing the contest.


Simon Tolli scored Werribee’s first in the 62nd minute with a well-placed shot past Chris May from inside the area. The second came courtesy of a strong header by Evan Batsis after a corner found him at the penalty spot in the 71st minute.


Werribee continued to search for more goals, and had the Knights under the pump in the latter stages of the game. The visitor’s defence held strong, however, and the introduction of Antun Kovacic in the 77th minute made City’s task even harder.



Knights’ next game is against Dandenong Thunder on Saturday, 12 July. Kick off at George Andrews Reserve is from 7pm.


Check Also

Knights partner with world leading VPN provider

The Melbourne Knights Football Club are excited to announce a new partnership with world-leading VPN …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *