Colosimo brace seals Knights win

Melbourne Knights has finally broken its winless streak, defeating Port Melbourne 3-1 at Knights Stadium on Sunday afternoon.


A brace from Anthony Colosimo, and a headed goal by Daniel Visevic sealed a comprehensive win, the Knights’ first since Round Two against Pascoe Vale.


After a good start to the game, during which the Knights dominated possession and chances, it was Port Melbourne who managed to open the scoring. Nick Tzoulis’ 32nd minute corner curled into the area, evaded everyone and ended up in the net, much to the dismay of Knights’ defence.


Visevic found a much-deserved equaliser in the 51st minute, getting on the end of Anthony Colosimo’s corner from the right to head past Port goalkeeper Adam Hrehoresin.


Despite Knights’ best efforts, the result seemed destined to be a draw, until Anthony Colosimo stepped up in the 81st minute to send the home side ahead. Second half substitiute Anthony Duzel found Colosimo at the back post, who had no trouble putting the ball past Hrehoresin.


Colosimo sealed the game in the 91st minute, controlling a long pass from Ben Surey before cooly slotting the ball in the net.


Knights started the contest strongly, and could have had a penalty in just the tenth minute when Colosimo was brought down in a foul which appeared to occur inside the area. The referee, however, judged that this wasn’t the case and awarded a free kick.


Visevic took the set piece and forced Hrehoresin into a good save, one of numerous chances of the half for the number seven. In the 19th minute he struck a venomous volley on target, again making Hrehoresin work to keep the ball out.

Visevic’s goal six minutes after the interval set the tone for the second period of the match.


Milan Batur, still playing playing up front as a striker, had a golden opportunity in the 60th minute which flashed just wide of the upright. Just six minutes later, Batur played a good lay off for Tomislav Uskok, who scored in the Dockerty Cup win against Mornington, however this time he sprayed his shot over the bar.


Anthony Colosimo’s 81st minute goal was greeted with relief by the Knights faithful, who were certain they were going to watch the home side go on and win the contest.


His second goal ten minutes later, in the first minute of injury time, killed off the contest and gave Andre Marth’s men much-needed three points.


The Knights next match is away against Green Gully next Saturday, May 31. Kick off at Green Gully Reserve is at 7pm.

Check Also

Knights partner with world leading VPN provider

The Melbourne Knights Football Club are excited to announce a new partnership with world-leading VPN …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *