New Melbourne Knights’ player coach Andrew Marth says he’ll guide his side to the national league playoffs his way and anybody who disagrees will be shown the exit door.
Marth, a former Socceroo, took control of the Knights after coach Vlado Vanis quit yesterday following pressure from fans and factions of the board.
The Knights are still in the six, but only just,with a tough run home and any slip up will see Adelaide City overhaul them while Sydney United are another side still able to catch the Victorians.
Marth was asked at training, before Vanis met the board at a specially called meeting, if he was prepared to take control until the end of the season.
“I said I had no problems with that,” Marth said.
Vanis later emerged to tell the players that he had quit the club.
Vanis and striker Joel Porter were abused by fans as they left the ground after Sunday’s 2-2 draw against the Auckland Kingz.
The New Zealanders had twice come from behind to level.
“I guess if we had won 3-1 he would not have gone, but that’s football,” Marth said.
Marth, the enforcer in the Knights’ side, believes despite the disruption that the side will still stay in the six.
He is also confident that there will be no backlash from the players following Vanis’s departure.
“I’m pretty hard-headed anyway and anybody that plays up will be shown the door,” he said.
The 32-year-old skipper, key position player and now coach has promised all-out attack in the remaining five games of the regular season.
He also play a more forward role in the Knight’s run home. Marth pressed forward late in the game against the Kingz and did make a difference with the Kiwis hanging on for a draw after being good value for it earlier in the game.
“I can score goals and not many of our midfielders do, so I will be pushing myself up,” he said.