Knights and Gully share spoils

The Melbourne Knights have secured another point on the road, in a gripping 2-2 draw against Green Gully.

Melbourne Knights Starting XI:

Thomas Manos (GK), Lachlan Weier, Ayden Brice, Anthony Duzel, James McGarry, Caleb Mikulic, Trevor Zwetsloot, Felipe Sanchez, Mohammed Sumaoro, Trevor Ssemakula, Nick Glavan

Melbourne Knights Substitutes:

Harry Cakarun (GK), Jack Marth, Nikola Jurkovic, Mathew Breeze, Dor Jok

Both sides began with a reserved approach with bouts of attacks here and there, but nothing made either keeper earn their keep.

Mid-way through the first half, Green Gully opened the scoring through Luc Jeggo. From a corner, the ball was squared to Jeggo on the outside of the 18 yard box. Thomas Manos got some reach and extended a hand to it but was unable to keep it out.

Following five minutes of additional time, the referee blew his whistle for the end of the first half. Gully with a handful of chances, held a 1-0 at the halfway stage.

Early into the second half, the Knights had levelled! Felipe Sanchez found some space inside the box after receiving a cute ball from skipper Ayden brice, and he was able to fire it past the Gully keeper – Jerrad Tyson – into the bottom far corner.

After the equaliser, the Knights opted for some fresh legs while they had momentum. Mathew Breeze was introduced against his former team – replacing Mohammed Sumaoro.

As the night wore on, the match dampened and the game was still all-square. Into the 74th minute, the Knights made a defensive swap – Jack Marth on for Lachlan Weier – in an attempt to safeguard a point on the road.

Into a chaotic final 10 minutes, the Knights seemingly scoring the winner in the 85th minute through Caleb Mikulic after receiving the ball from Breeze. However the goal was chalked off due to a handball call.

Moments later, the pair connected again and Mathew Breeze drifted onto the edge of the area and received the ball on a platter via Mikulic. He met the ball on the volley and squeezed it into the bottom right to put the Knights ahead – prior to additional time.

Within the first minute of additional time, Gully responded. The ball bundled over the line sloppily, allowing Manos to believe he had kept the ball in play. The linesman deemed the play a goal and the sides were all square again at the final whistle.

A close finish sees the Knights take a point home. With that result, the Knights slide to 5th in the standings. Next week the Knights will welcome Dandenong City to Somers Street in a round 10 clash.

– Tom Hayes

Check Also

Knights draw in thrilling goalfest against Gully

The Knights and Gully went toe-to-toe with one another in an entertaining match that had …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *